[Gllug] Hiring servers - uk2.net

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 16:24:07 UTC 2001

I remember a thread a few months back on this...

UK2.net charge a levy on bandwidth over a given limit. The chance of someone cracking the server and maxxing bandwidth (like putting up an FTP WAREZ site) can lead to a hefty liability.

Worse case scenario:
Suppose 45 days from the end of one billing period to seeing the bill from the beginning of the next..

Assume max throughput 10Mbytes/sec full duplex = 20Mbyte/sec
45 days * 24 hours * 3600 seconds=3.888 million seconds.
77.76 million Megabytes  full duplex throughput = 77,760 Gigabytes.

Chargeable Gigabytes=77,760 - 30 (1.5 months) = 77,730Gb

Monthly Charge:
77,730Gb x £6.99= £543,332.70p
1.5 months hosting £37.50
Total worst case scenario liability:£543,370.20p
Or a nice house.

However, it is unlikely the upstream bandwidth will be maxed out if it is used as a warez repository.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk