OT: Re: [Gllug] Digital TV ( rapidly becoming OT? )

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Mon Apr 29 13:42:26 UTC 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >America has the best democracy [1]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >[1] that money can buy.
>
> Indeed. In fact, as noted by hpa, the USA ceased to be a democracy
> some time ago, and has long been a plutocracy. Sadly, I think the
> UK is also too far gone down that path now for it to be avoided.
>
> Tet

The American Heritage Dictionary has an interesting 5th definition for
democracy:

   de·moc·ra·cy   Pronunciation Key  (d -m k r -s )
   n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
    1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through
       elected representatives.
    2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
    3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political
    4. Majority rule.
    5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual
       within a community.

I guess it's possible to have a democracy ruled by the wealthy or even
under dictatorial rule as long as they `respect the principles of social
equality and respect for the individual'. Under that definition China is a
democracy, after all communism is all about social equality and it doesn't
even have to work as long as they `respect' it. Good to see a dictionary
keeping up with the changing meaning of words.

-Robert.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk