[Gllug] I do not like this person

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 14 19:44:46 UTC 2002

On Sun 14 Apr, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> On Sunday 14 Apr 2002 6:13 pm, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > Adrian McMenamin(adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk)@Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 05:46:39PM
> +0100:
> > > Until Linux starts making serious money people in the FT are going to
> > > continue tweaking our noses.
> >
> > are you saying that the FT only has respect for products/services that
> > have clearly been shown to make as much money as possible?
> >
> > well i can believe that, after all the hint is in the name.  ahh,
> > ignorance is bliss, we'll take over the world with our (free|open)
> > software and then depose them from the exalted positions they have
> > over us.
>
> Except that it's not is it - not in terms of real user experience. People at
> desks are using MS Word on Windows NT.
>
> Server companies selling Linux are struggling to make any money at all. (With
> the possible exception of IBM).
>
> Money is needed to pay for innovation and development - and MS has plenty of
> that.
>
> And, no, that is not what I am saying about the FT: but until Linux either
> ends up on the desktop or is seen as serious commercial/profitable option,
> then those who write about IT will continue to be sceptical.
>
> I see no sign of Linux winning on the desktop at the moment, so its serious
> money from servers that will win the war, I think.
>
> Adrian

   A friend who has supplied and maintained M$ systems for about 15 years or
more returned from a holiday in India nearly 2 years ago, saying that
everyone there was using Linux instead of M$. It is the only official
operating system in China. It is in widespread use in many other countries.
   Software such as Open Office is now available for Linux, and I was told
that work is continuing on an international accountancy package. I do not
believe that Sage is mandatory.
   I understand that many more users (both private and corporate) are
looking very carefully at the latest time-limited software licences from M$.
   There were UK government documents on Open Source Software last year
saying that Britain is catching up:

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/rfc/rfc_document.asp?docnum=429

there is a request for comments

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/interoperability/egif_document.asp?docnum=430