[Gllug] OT: Online Natwest banking

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Aug 6 09:07:09 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:19:11PM +0000, Colin Murphy wrote:
> On Monday 05 August 2002 6:19 pm, Simon Stewart wrote:
> > Yeah, it's off topic. So shoot me. And it ties into the Argos thread.
> >
> > Spent a part of the day today on the phone to Natwest, once again
> > picking them up their lack of support for alternative browsers. Since
> > I know that this list probably has some quite active "linux based
> > browser" users, can I please ask those of you who bank with Natwest to
> > give them a prod?
>
> Tried this back in March.  If their reply sounds hollow, well, you
> know......

I do try this from time to time (moving bank is a pita, and I'd rather
not do it) and generally run into very nice looking brick walls. There
certainly used to be about three different factions within the Natwest
website team, ranging from those who only thought of IE5.5+ as a
decent browser to some linux geeks, but this time things seemed a
little better.

Most of the time on the phone was spent talking to one of the helpdesk
bodies, called John. His wife has some level of visual disability, and
he does voluntary work with the disabled in his spare time. He's
already lodged a request to better support alternative browsers, and
provided me with some useful information about being heard by Natwest,
as well as doing all he could to try and direct _my_ complaint to the
appropriate person. Apparently, the feedback form on their website
gets fed to management level, so that's a good place to start your
campaign. Moaning at the helpdesk doesn't appear to work too well.

One of the suggestions that John made was to regularly poke to try and
get something done, and this is what I intend to do. I've had enough
of being treated as a second class netizen because I don't happen to
be using IE. It's time to prod some buttock.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"My dad's this long-haired drug-taking weirdo, hangs out with a
heap of Goths - of COURSE I became a computer geek."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk