[Gllug] any have SoundBlaster PCI16 working in Linux?

Dylan gllug at dylan.me.uk
Thu Aug 15 17:20:40 UTC 2002

Steve,

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 19:20, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> Have put a creative labs SoundBlaster PCI 16 in my Linux workstation
> (Debian 3.0 woody) and the mixer doesn't seam to work as I expected.  I
> would like to compare notes with anyone else using this card.  Basically
> doesn't matter what mixer I use I can't control the speaker output
> separately to the lineout (card has separate sockets for each), speaker
> volume control has no affect.

If you mean that the speaker volume has no effect on the line-out level, then
that's how it should be. Line audio is (by definition) fixed. You may find an
'output gain' on some cards, but not the lower range ones.

  Other weirdness is it has controls for
> video and phone in, phone out which don't appear on the card from what I
> can find.

But since some cards have them it's easiest to make a user app handle them
anyway...

I can't remember if the speaker out, line out worked
> separately in Windows it was probably 8-9 months ago that I last used
> it.  So possibly a problem with the card not the OS, would just like to
> confirm this with someone.

Don't think it's a problem with either - I'd never expect a volume to control
a line connection. That's equivalent to your hifi volume affecting the
tape-out connections...

--
Dylan
dylan at dylan.me.uk