[Gllug] Icewm

Steve Nicholson steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com
Sat Aug 24 16:44:44 UTC 2002

> When I upgraded to my Debian box to Woody about a year ago I
> gave icewm a try but I found the GUI a bit clucky.
> I then found XFce <http://www.xfce.org/> which I have used ever since.
> It is small, fast,  pleasant to look at and has just the
> right amount of features to be productivity.

Yes I agree, I use XFce and find it very good, to the point that I'm
looking at removing gnome (have removed KDE), gdm etc and booting
straight to XFce.  I wanted to play with them all to see which I like
and don't use the others at all now.  From my understanding XFce is a
desktop environment not just a window manager and aims to be a
cholesterol free replacement for gnome/kde.

My only issue and I'm not sure if it is xfce causing the problem is
XFree86 seems to bloat in size (memory use in top) over the day, easily
over 100Mb.  Have just been playing with it and found that it appears to
be web browsers that are causing the problem.  I've only been using
Dillo today so maybe it has some memory leak although I was using galeon
earlier.  Have had a couple of times when I've requested a page and all
windows of Dillo and galeon vanish from the screen.

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk