[Gllug] Evolution won't fetch my mail (Help)

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 22:22:03 UTC 2002

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002, Tethys muttered drunkenly:

>>http://members.aol.com/sfandfbookclub/weapon_shops_of_isher.htm
>
> One of my favourite books of all time, and probably his best work
> (although "Empire of the atom" comes close). Glad I'm not the only
> van Vogt fan around here...

I'm a fan of his earlier work, but his later stuff varies between
incomprehensible, banging a variety of increasingly bizarre tubs (like
post-surgery Heinlein), and just plain unreadable (also like
post-surgery Heinlein).

The early stuff was *very* good, though --- by the standards of the
time. I guess his real problem was that he never coped with the
maturation of the field: pulp-style SF couldn't keep you at the
top of the field by the 60s--70s.

(He only just died, didn't he, this year? March, wasn't it?)

--
`There's something satisfying about killing JWZ over and over again.'
                                        -- 1i, personal communication

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk