[Gllug] Cheep backup solution

jane jane at moonrose.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 13:39:19 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:19:48 +0100, you wrote:

~Hi,
~
~I'm looking for a cheep backup solution and I've just spotted that scan
~(www.scan.co.uk) are doing a parallel port ditto drive (10Gb) for 24 quid
~(exc VAT).  Anyone got any comments (good or bad) about this drive and linux
~support for it (which I think is fine - imm module?)?

Linux support is good.

I had an old 2GB Ditto, and had just sorted out the software when the drive
went belly up. I'd only used it about two dozen times as well. It kept
rewinding when you put a tape in, and on and on... several snapped tapes
including a brand new one later, I bought a CD-RW and now work with the
principle of backing up to that, which is a lot easier. It was a hardware
fault, just out of guarantee as is typical. (Before anyone suspects I got
the Linux drivers wrong, it went belly up under windoze :-(

I'd not buy another one. I was surprised, as I'd had zip drives at work
with no problems at all, not even the hint of the dreaded deathwatch beetle
click.

Cheap was definitely not cheerful here!

(tbh, with the price of HDDs these days, you could do worse than buy a
cheapo 20GB drive and use that!)

--
jane

Mark Twain