[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Dec 13 01:16:08 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 15:54, Dylan wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday 11 December 2002 01:27, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>><SNIP>

>>I'm not a Java bod (in the least) but isn't it more straightforward to produce
>>a client-server app if both ends are written under the same system? I'm
>>thinking of things like Java chat applets etc.
>

> Quite possibly, but I was referring specifically to servlets on web
> servers, not the general case of client-server stuff. Although you could
> use a servlet to serve an applet to the client, which would then connect
> back, most servlet users seem to just use the servlet to connect to a
> database, and spit out HTML - a job which can be done, IMO, better with
> Perl.

but having the option of running client side code in the same language
is a plus...

one thing that servlets do that I haven't seen elsewhere is that you can
have variables defined per servlet

this makes it easy to do things like count the number current users,
implement database connection pooling etc...

I find that in php/perl etc I end up reading a lot of stuff from
file/database that really doesn't change very often (esp config stuff)
- and have to be much more careful to avoid race conditions.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk