[Gllug] You are a bad man.

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Thu Dec 19 11:11:41 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 07:44:45PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Choosing between the EPIA800 and EPIA5000 what do you think?
>
> The 5000 is passively cooled, so will be queit in the spare bedroom
> and throw off less heat.
> But the 800 has more CPU power - I think much more.
> Sigh...

The fun part is working out how to distribute software over lots
of nodes. So my 2p of advice is buy lots of the cheaper boards.

Funnily enough I was thinking the same.

I was thinking, buy 3 or 4 of the UKP80 boards. Pull the 2.5"
spare hard drive out from under the pile of crap in my spare
room and plug that into one of the boards. The other boards can
be diskless. Get an ethernet switch. Problem though: power: how
can I drive all the boards off the minimum number of power
supplies? (And indeed what power supplies do these things need?)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj