[Gllug] You are a bad man.

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Thu Dec 19 11:27:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 rich at annexia.org wrote:

> The fun part is working out how to distribute software over lots
> of nodes. So my 2p of advice is buy lots of the cheaper boards.

That's what I'm interested in.
I hope to experiment with PXE booting,
and I'm also interested in the Oscar cluster install project.

> Funnily enough I was thinking the same.
>
> I was thinking, buy 3 or 4 of the UKP80 boards. Pull the 2.5"
> spare hard drive out from under the pile of crap in my spare
> room and plug that into one of the boards. The other boards can
> be diskless. Get an ethernet switch. Problem though: power: how
> can I drive all the boards off the minimum number of power
> supplies? (And indeed what power supplies do these things need?)

I think they need small 150W power supplies, if you have a mains
PSU in the case.

I've jsut ordered a Cubid case, which takes an external power brick,
so should be very quiet.

It might be fun to think of racking several mini-ITX boards together in
a case, in that case (no pun intended) you would maybe homebrew a PSU.

Another interesting way to do things, in a co-lo environment, or
a server room is to get a 1U case.
>From the bulletin boards on Linitx.org, you might be able to squeeze
four mini-ITX into one 1U case. The 1U PSUs are 22 UKP each.
But I don't really want rack mounts in y spare room
(actaully, that is a lie. I really do.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk