[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Thu Dec 12 23:59:36 UTC 2002

>  from:    Sudhir Anand <anand_sudhir at yahoo.co.uk>
>  date:    Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:29:40
>  to:      gllug at linux.co.uk
>  subject: Re: [Gllug] OT(ish): Advice
>
> On Thursday 12 December 2002 20:53, Chris Wareham wrote:
> > Sudhir Anand wrote:
> > > Do you know where C# fits in?  Is it similar to C  ?  I understand that
> > > it is C   without pointer concept.  Does anyone know if there are plans
> > > for a Open Source compiler and IDE for C#?
> >
> > Mono:
> >
> >    http://www.go-mono.org/
> >
> > The current project of the chap who founded the GNOME project, so you
> > might not like it ;-)
>
> Thank you for your pointer.  I have just discovered a project called Eclipse
> which appears to be an IDE with various plugins, including c/c  , java and
> c#.  Has anyone used Eclipse under Linux and is it easy to install with the
> various plugins?

I've used it with Java, and it is very impressive. The install
was a little bit fiddly, but this was some time ago and it has
probably improved somewhat. The reason I didn't carry on using it
is because in keeping with all integrated development
environments I've tried, the overhead of learning it fully is
too much effort. For instance, while C or C   programming I'm
content with NEdit, gcc, gdb and a few xterms. An IDE may make
me more efficient in the long run but I'm just too lazy to learn
the subtleties of one. The same goes for Emacs as well.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk