[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Dec 13 09:02:13 UTC 2002

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com writes:

>The reason I didn't carry on using it is because in keeping with
>all integrated development environments I've tried, the overhead of
>learning it fully is too much effort. For instance, while C or C
>programming I'm content with NEdit, gcc, gdb and a few xterms. An IDE
>may make me more efficient in the long run but I'm just too lazy to
>learn the subtleties of one. The same goes for Emacs as well.

Agreed. I was starting to wonder if it was just me! But I'd go further
and say that from experience, even if you *are* familiar with an IDE,
you're still less efficient than with a bunch of xterms, a decent
editor, a compiler, a debugger and a makefile. After all, an IDE is
essentially just a GUI front end to all of those anyway...

But by far the biggest problem with most IDEs is the lack of decent
editor support[1]. I find that makes the biggest impact to my coding
efficiency, and being stuck with a glorified notepad doesn't generally
help.

Tet

[1] Obviously, I'm excluding emacs here. Even though I don't personally
    like it, even I admit that it's a decent editor. And mail reader.
    And web browser. And dishwasher. Breadmaker. Train driver. Astronaut.
    Road sweeper. Tea maker. And pretty much everything else, really...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk