[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Sudhir Anand anand_sudhir at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 13:41:39 UTC 2002

<snip>

>I'm going to commit a heresy here.

Why is this heresy?  Real question, seriously.

>If you can afford it, it ight just be quicker and easier to get a
>dedicated broadband router. These usually have firewaling built in, and
>some have VPN capabilities if you need to get into (say) a Uni or
>corporate network. Others have built in wireless access points.

<snip>

>The advantages I see in a small dedicated router are:
>
>Small and quiet
>
>you can attach several PCs in the house behind them

For use at home I prefer using a proxy server to allow other PCs to access
the internet.  I have two children aged  11 & 15.  A proxy allows me to
monitor the sites they visit and they only have access when either my wife
or I decide.  By shutting down the proxy, they will be denied internet
access.  This is one area where Linux's user access is far superior to
windows.

<snip>

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk