[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Dec 13 13:29:52 UTC 2002

Sudhir Anand(anand_sudhir at yahoo.co.uk)@Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:41:39PM -0000:

> For use at home I prefer using a proxy server to allow other PCs to access
> the internet.  I have two children aged  11 & 15.  A proxy allows me to
> monitor the sites they visit and they only have access when either my wife
> or I decide.  By shutting down the proxy, they will be denied internet
> access.  This is one area where Linux's user access is far superior to
> windows.

look for squidguard. [1]
it integrates into squid very easily, allowing you to block access to
groups of sites, i.e. gambling, pr0n, etc.  it can also be setup to
allow/deny access based on time of day, along with requiring a user to
authenticate first.

used in conjunction with a transparent squid proxy, and tight
firewalling rules, you can easily censor off large chunks of the
internet from those you perceive as being incapable of exerting self
control.

-v

[1] http://www.squidguard.org/

--