[Gllug] Tape backup

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 11:40:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:18:27AM +0000, Andrew Och wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have been set a task of setting up incremental tape backups for a
> client on a Debian GNU/Linux server.
>
> In people's experience what is the most reliable internal tape drive for
> GNU/Linux? (if money isn't and is an object ;-)
>
> Best regards
> Andrew Och

If money is an object (and usually always is) then a DDS3 or DDS4 DAT
drive if a good way to go. DLT is an more expensive alternative that I
have not tried and it does not give you access to old backups made on
DAT tapes. I've had a few mechanical faults with one of the HP DAT drives
with an autoloading tape changer, so I can not really recomend them.

I used to use Seagate drives as they were quite a bit cheaper than HP
(and HP's support system is a PITA), but recently had a new drive that
refused to write tapes after a couple of months.

Seagate warrenty replacement system is kind of strange - you enter in
the serial number into a web form, it autogenerates the RMA, you ship
it to Holland and they ship back a replacement. At no point have they
asked me what the fault is.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk