[Gllug] CD Writing with Samba

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 23:38:54 UTC 2002

Harry wrote:

> I have now read in various places that this cannot be done. I am going to
> have to read the cd's while I am in Windows and then burn them when I next
> go into redhat. Pain in the arse but that seems to be the guts of it.

I was going to say that the only way you could share a CD writer was
with VMware, but I just tried it (with a Linux guest) and it doesn't
seem to work too well. So maybe even this isn't an option.

But to the point, why do you have to read the CDs in Windows? I've never
had to do this. I have "backed up" many Windows CDs in Linux. And music
CDs. I've never had a problem except when trying to copy protected games
CDs, and AIUI there are ways round this one which I could find if I
cared enough to do so. These are hard to copy in Windows too (there
wouldn't be a lot of point if they weren't).

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk