[Gllug] erm, help...

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Sat Feb 9 00:57:40 UTC 2002

will(will at hellacool.co.uk)@Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:18:16PM +0000:
> I just compiled my kernel (again) and I seem to have lost the contents
> of my /boot directory.  This is RH 7.2.  I guess if I reboot the
> computer would just not work, what needs to be in the /boot directory?
>
> Will.

typically, kernel(s) and maybe some initial ram disks.

important stuff for the machine to boot normally.  if you have no
kernel's in /boot, then you *really* want to boot up by some other
means, and install a kernel+possible initrd if you need it.

if you can get a system up, and copy those files in, you can chroot, and
re-run lilo/grub installers, and all should be back to normal.

if you want more specific answers, mail me off list, it's fairly
envolved, but the above is basically what you want todo.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk