[Gllug] Email servers

Xander D Harkness xander at sportsinjurymanager.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 00:24:33 UTC 2002

Dylan Brewis wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I've been trawling thru books and docs for days over this and have got
>thoroughly confused. I want to set up the necessafy services so that one of
>my machines will periodically collect mail (by POP3) from my ISP and then
>allow it to be collected (again by POP3) by users' mail clients. I figure I
>use fetchmail for doing the ISP collection, triggered by cron, but I don't
>understand the stuff about maildrops and forwarding etc. I don't want the
>mail to end up in a users' home directory, I want them to be able to POP it
>off the local network.
>
>Any help greatly appreciated!
>
>Dylan

I would suggest that you enable pop3, make sure that the port for pop3
(110) is not firewalled.

You can then create user accounts for those that you want to have mail
accounts

(If you want it a little more secure you can set the shell in
/etc/passwd from /bin/bash to /bin/false)

If you install ftechmail and fetchmailconf you may find it easier.
 Fetchmail can be run as a daemon
and collect mail as often or as seldom as you want.

You may also want to configure your smtp daemon on the box to relay
mail.  Sendmail on a Red Hat
box you should be able to go to /etc/mail and edit the access file add
the IPs or domains that you want
to relay.  You also need to edit /etc/sendmail.cf, search for 127.0.0.1
and change to either 0.0.0.0 or
the IP of your internal network card (as opposed to internet facing).
 Then execute make all in the
directory and restart sendmail.

If you are running exim the file /etc/exim.conf is very well documented
for enabling relay.

Or - and I will get shot down for this one; however it is how I learnt.
 Install linuxconf, enable the
sendmail module, and you have a lovely GUI which does all the domain
banning, relay control etc.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk