[Gllug] GigE

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Feb 4 10:52:50 UTC 2002

Harry was talking about gigabit Ethernet on the list last week,
and we were joshing him about having a home gigabit network.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this:

"Well, I just bought GbE cards for $36 each, and a couple 4 port GbE
switches
for $130 each. Per port cost is $69. Get creative on how to connect
things
to get the bandwidth you want. As long as you stay below 20 nodes or so
it shouldn't be too bad. Latency is still an issue though. 8 port GbE
switches go for $600 or so at the moment so less cost effective but less
switches needed if that will help the layout/performance."

Guess it's time that I gave in to the inevitable, and shuffled
off to the Old Network Manager's Home.
I see myself spending endless sunny afternoons reminiscing with
other old duffers about how the good the old days with
X25 PADs and the fun we had unrolling huge drums of yellow cable.
Sigh.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk