[Gllug] rcconf

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 23:00:43 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 10:19:17PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:34:36AM -0000, Jackson, wrote:
>>> Not sure what it is for Debian but I think there's something
>>> analagous.
>>
>> I have used chkconfig on redhat but not sure what the Debian equiv. is I was
>> hoping removing the modules would get rid of it completely. I suppose I
>> could go through dselect and do some weeding.
>
> I see there is now a friendly front-end to update-rc.d in the Woody
> distribution.  Name of rcconf.  Haven't looked at it.

I've tried it and met a few problems:
1: Whe you stop a service it removes the symlink instead of putting
    a K link in it's place - rather annoying if you change between
    run levels and expect daemons to be stopped.
2: You can only configure the run level you are in.
3: No command line options (not even --version).
4: Little documentation (only brief man page and changelog).
5: There is no online help or description of services.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk