[Gllug] The dreaded KDE app launch delay...

Harry postituk at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 23:08:48 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Harker" <jon at jonathanharker.co.uk>
> Hi folks,
>
> As you can no doubt deduce from the subject line, I have been struck by
the
> dreaded and mysterious KDE app launch delay. Has anybody else had this
> problem?
>
> Everything was zipping along nicely, until one day, all my KDE
applications
> huddled together and decided that from now on, they were all going to take
10
> to 20 seconds to appear on the screen (perhaps they were sick of doing all
> the overtime  :-). I am using Mandrake 8.1, KDE 2.2.1, X 4.1.0, kernel
2.4.8
> if that helps.
>
> Have I installed something over the top of something else and trainwrecked
> some libraries or something?

Just out of interest have you installed any network cards or other devices
recently or loaded any modules as I have noticed that since I installed a
netgear card I have been having the same (2 mins) problem and its
intermittent. I am pretty sure it is the network card that is causing this
although I have no idea how this could happen or what would cause it.

Question
When I reboot a machine how can I make sure that the modules that are meant
to get loaded get loaded namely natsemi. This is a RH box. When I use

$modprobe natsemi

it fails. Is modprobe the correct tool for the job I have been using insmod
and this works but I think that the lack of dependencies could be causing
problems.

Harry

---

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk