[Gllug] The dreaded KDE app launch delay...

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 00:07:55 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 23:08, Harry wrote:
<snip>
> Just out of interest have you installed any network cards or other devices
> recently or loaded any modules as I have noticed that since I installed a
> netgear card I have been having the same (2 mins) problem and its
> intermittent. I am pretty sure it is the network card that is causing this
> although I have no idea how this could happen or what would cause it.

Harry -

I think I've solved it at my end anyway - I had changed my hostname and
hostdomain a while back in linuxconf and it was still saying

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

in /etc/hosts - I change this to the proper name and the dreaded KDE delay
vanishes.

<sherlock holmes>
I guess KDE (X?) apps are looking for their libraries by the usual DNS
resolution, so having a duff hosts file must mean it is waiting for the
lookup to timeout. Maybe, er?
</einstein>

 I don't have a network card, so I have the simple case. I don't know if
you've got some funky network setup that does some sort of cool dynamic
lookup thingy and plays with your hosts file or route table...? Wow, time to
go to bed before my brain explodes <wades back to a more comfortable depth>

Night,
luv Jon.

--
Jonathan Harker