[Gllug] Sun AS4030

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Feb 8 14:09:42 UTC 2002

>does anyone know anything about sun AS4030s ?

Wasn't that the SparcStation LX?

>i plug it into my hub (in the hope it was already set up for dhcp and
>maybe even broadcast nis from wherever it was before) but it appears
>to not obtain an address from me, (hub port lights up about 30 secs
>into boot so that much is working) oh i also have no keyboard, is it
>right it boots with a serial console?

Yep. Stick a null modem cable from it into your nearest Linux PC, fire
up minicom and set it to 9600 8N1. If all is well, you should see the
Sparc boot up.

As for the sync on green monitor, I wouldn't bother. Just run it headless.
You can use the serial console to configure it,and once its up and running,
X display stuff to your Linux box. That series of machines are really quite
slow, and removing the overhead of running an X server will help you squeeze
as much performance out of it as you can. That said, it is still at least
usable today, unlike a PC similarly clocked at 50MHz, mostly due to the
decent amount of on chip cache, I guess.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk