[Gllug] SCSI Cards.

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jan 9 14:24:13 UTC 2002

>I have been umming and ahhing about SCSI for a long time and have
>finally committed to a SCSI CD/WR.

Good decision :-)

>I am sure that Tekram use the LSI Logic's chipset for most if not all
>of their cards.

Nope, not all. Mine (a DC395UW) uses Tekram's own chip. Linux support
isn't in the standard kernel tree, but Kurt Garloff at SuSE was able
to provide me with an up to date patch for recent kernels.

As for the others, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Advansys cards. Superb
Linux support, great performance, and utterly reliable. I've also had
success with Kewell cards (which use an Initio chipset).

The only advice I would give when considering SCSI is not to be cheap
about it. You're buying a premium product, so be prepared to pay a
bit extra. Sure, you can pick up a cheap SCSI II card, but you'll get
better performance from modern IDE equipment (in terms of outright
burst speeds at least -- I find SCSI gives better interactive "feel",
even at slower speeds, but YMMV). Ultra 160 SCSI cards, on the other
hand, should give you a *much* nicer system. RL Supplies are selling
Kewell's KW-898B for #139.00. Haven't tried it myself, but I wouldn't
expect any problems.

Tet

PS. Oh yes... be prepared to be labelled a SCSI bigot by people who
    don't believe it's any better than IDE. Serial ATA may remedy
    many of IDE's shortcomings, but it's not here yet. SCSI is, and
    is stable and mature.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk