[Gllug] ALSA sound driver problems

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 09:23:26 UTC 2002

> Well, I have a nice new motherboard with an onboard sound card.
> sndconfig reported that I have a VIA Technologies|AC97 card
> and that I
> needed the ALSA driver.  I downloaded it and 2 other tar.gz packages
> that I needed and tried to compile them by doing a ./configure:

> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
> kernel-headers system headers,
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather
> headers from an
> appropriate kernel-source package.
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change
> -I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname
> -r)/build/include
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the
> currently-running kernel.

I think I'm having slightly similar problems. (See my earlier post a few
days ago).
As I understand it, the C header files that were used to compile the
current kernel are at /usr/include/linux/ and these are needed to
compile the ALSA module (so it knows what "hooks" are in the kernel). If
you compile some other kernels their header files will be slightly
different, and will go in /usr/include/linux-2.4.13/ etc. (one for each
version)

For some reason I'm not sure of you can't just use the running kernel's
headers, you have to have the entire kernel source code in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.13/ or whatever. (The Kernel Compiling HOWTO  and the
kernel README has stuff on this). Perhaps the standard RH7.2 kernel
doesn't have support for the ALSA module or something?

I might be wrong here but this is my setup and ALSA compiles OK for me
(RH 7.1) for kernels <= 2.4.13
I think I was using the same ALSA version, I think there is also a 0.9
version which is more experimental and might be needed for later kernels
perhaps?

Please someone tell me if I'm talking nonsense here.

> sound.c:511:17: warning: pasting ""snd: "" and ""unable to register
> native major device number %d\n"" does not give a valid
> preprocessing token
> sound.c:593:17: warning: pasting ""snd: "" and ""unable to unregister
> major device number %d\n"" does not give a valid preprocessing token
> make[1]: *** [sound.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/alsa-driver-0.5.9d/kernel'
> make: *** [compile] Error 1
> [root at localhost alsa-driver-0.5.9d]#
>
> which didn't seem to work.  Does anyone have any idea why
> this seems to
> be happening?  I checked and there is a file:
>
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h
>
> Any suggestions?  I don't really understand the error that is being
> given.  I am using RH 7.2 BTW.
>
> Will.
>

> --

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk