[Gllug] mutt weirdness

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Wed Jan 23 00:40:46 UTC 2002

* Tom Gilbert <tom at linuxbrit.co.uk> spake thus:
>> I am having trouble with mutt again. I got tired of having to wait for
>> so long for mutt to open one of my mailing list folders, so now I get
>> my mail all in one inbox, and need to move it to different folders (this
>> way I keep the level of mails in the inbox at an appropriate level).  I
>> can do this with the save-hook commands, and I have even made myself a
>> little macro to help me out (this tags the current thread and saves it
>> to the folder specified by the save-hook commands, regardless of which
>> message in the thread I am on):
>>
>> macro index .           "^R^[t;s^M"
>> macro pager .           "^R^[t;s^M"
>>
> Does it work if you prefix the macro with 'q' to exit the pager?
> (untested).

Indeed. *bangs head repeatedly against brick wall*

Thanks Tom, this helps me a lot. Sometimes you just can't see the
forest for all the trees.

> Frankly I'd say you are going about fixing the original problem the
> wrong way - if your individual mailing lists get too large to manage,
> archive them. I archive all my list mail automatically monthly, and the
> busy ones weekly. It's by far the more appropriate solution.

Oh, but I do that as well. But sometimes I check mail often, and when
you have 100 mail distributed over, say, 10 mailboxes -- several of
which have only one or two mails, but are (potentially) very interesting
-- it becomes more convenient to get them all delivered to the same
inbox initially, and distribute them to different folders upon reading.

Stig

--
brautaset.org
Registered Linux User 107343

``Oh, how I wish `undo' was ported to everyday life.''

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk