[Gllug] Wifi

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 13:36:14 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 02:10:48PM +0100, David Blackburn wrote:
> Can any one suggest a good PCMCIA card also a crappy(Cheap) PCI OR USB
> card just for home.
>
> And if that wasnt enough suggest a place to buy them from around TCR ?

there is a market in a UCL building west of TCR that does PCMCIA
card for aroung 99 pounds and PCI bridge/cradles for around 40
pounds. they are the netgear ones, and do not have external antenna
connectors. and are not well support under *nix (this may have
chagned). the NetGear MA401 is support tho, see;
 <http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/>

you can get them from James Stevens from Consume if you want, he
gets them in regualarly in reasonable quantity.
the Lucent/Orinoco/Avaya PCMCIA cards are about 80 pounds and
he has the cradles as well but i dont know what they cost.

the Lucent cards have external antenna connectors and the pigtails are
available in London for about 30 pounds. they are Lucent proprietry
connector to N-Type in short lengths to about 4-5 feet.

if you want more details contact me off list.

> I have checked consume.net, etc, etc but there seems to be even more out
> now since I last looked into buying one.

indeed. the Lucent ones are the most widely supported. there are
other more well featured cards like the Cisco 350 series, but they
are more than 150 pounds ... =(

more info;
 <http://consume.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/SoftwareForLinux>

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | "Gag me with    |

          cat /dev/sda > /dev/dsp -- music is art

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk