[Gllug] Signatures

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Wed Jul 10 15:13:10 UTC 2002

    Tim> And as we all know, letters are typed on 'letterheads' with a
    Tim> name/address and telephone number at the top and a signature
    Tim> (ie simple name of the writer) at the foot.

    Tim> So, our emails are constructed in the same format !

No.

Letters have headers.  They contain information about who is sending an
letter, who it's going to, what it's regarding and when it's being sent.

E-mails have headers.  They do the same.  You seem to want to duplicate
the header information of an e-mail inside the body - which is annoying
and redundant, and will make people less willing to listen to your
points after they've waded through the computer-generated junk.

    Tim> Besides which, if you need the 'sig' to include some sort of
    Tim> disclaimer ([..]) then it should be at the top so the recipient
    Tim> reads it BEFORE the text of the messages.

If e-mail disclaimers were useful, this might be true.  They aren't,
though, and if you put your rambling unenforcable unagreed contract at
the _bottom_ of a mail, we can recognise it as such after reading the
content and skip to the next message with a minimum of time loss.

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
 "Blessings to the chap who invented ice cream, ginger-pop and the rest!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk