[Gllug] NFS problem (now this is REALLY p*****g me off!)

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Wed Jul 24 01:07:01 UTC 2002

Lots of people complain about NFS on linux, although I've
been using it here without any problems for a good couple
of years. I use 4 dumb terminals which mount /usr /home /opt
from the server. Everything seems to work ok and we thrash
around the server quite a bit. I'm using slackware if that
has anything to do with it. I'm not even using any extra
special setup.

tjoshi at sulphur:~> /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -v
kmountd nfs-utils 0.3.1
Linux sulphur 2.4.18 #9 Sun Jun 16 13:03:47 BST 2002 i686 unknown

Although I'm not running nfsd/mountd on the client systems.
Running nfsd/mountd on the server

The only thing I can think off is that the kernel version
you are using with Suse has a bug? Try recompiling a new
kernel with the NFSD.o module built into the kernel as
opposed to a seperate module.

Just an idea.

Tushar

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 12:39:21AM +0100, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> Dylan(dylan at dylan.me.uk)@Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:23:59PM +0100:
> > I have just re-installed my home LAN from scratch to fix (rather that
> > understand) the following:
> >
> > After a while (a month or so) my server (which is running SuSE 8.0 with
> > "Default without office" but runlevel set to 3) seriously slows down when
> > serving NFS, but provides all other n/work services (well, ping, NIS mainly,
> > but rusers occasionally) with no problem. Very shortly after that, it becomes
> > impossible to mount NFS shares. The errors seem to be random - I get "no
> > route to host" (accessing by IP and ping is fine); "RPC - permission denied"
> > and "RPC timeout" about evenly on any of four clients. Get this - mount fails
> > on boot or using autofs, but some (not all) manual mounts work (whether I use
> > mount -a, mount <local directory> or a full mount stmnt!)
> >
> > Once the slowdown or mount failure is evident on one client, it spontaneously
> > appears on EVERY client.
> >
> > I figured I might have a rootkit / trojan etc. So I took away the data drives
> > and rebuilt everything (re-partitioning and formating every drive) from DVD
> > bootdisk.
> >
> > Now, three days later, same problem arises.
> >
> > I'm lost, any ideas as to where to look (and what the information I may find
> > means) would be most appreciated!
> >
> > If someone wants/can come and look at what's happening, even?
>

> in my experience, NFS on linux is ****ing awfull.  if it bothered me
> enough, i might be motivated todo somethign about it.  but it doesnt.
>
> you could always use a network FS that does work.  like that lovely
> windows reverse engineered program, smb.
>

> hmm, maybe i'm being harsh.  linux NFS client acess works most of the
> time.  server side is a joke.  but hey, we have the source code, so lets
> just ignore it, until someone else fixes it, or implements a decent
> replacement.
>
> BTW, on a less agressive note, tcpdump, strace and lsof are always your
> friends.
>
> there are several things under linux which IMNSHO suck, NFS is somewhere
> near the top of by shooting spree agenda.
>
> --
> keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc
>
>  Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving
>  taxicabs and cutting hair.
>  -- George Burns
>

> --

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8992 7008     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk