[Gllug] Signatures

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jul 10 13:33:10 UTC 2002

Stig Brautaset(stigbrau at start.no)@Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:37:40PM +0100:
> * t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> spake thus:
> > Message from:-
> > Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
> > Seacon Group Ltd / Seacon Terminals Ltd,
> > Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, UK
> > Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
> >       Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946
> >
> > I am sure all of you are probably correct about signatures going at the
> > bottom.  But what constitues a signature ??
> >
> > In a business environment (eg: me !), I would argue that an email is the
> > electronic equivalent of a letter. And as we all know, letters are typed
> > on 'letterheads' with a name/address and telephone number at the top and
> > a signature (ie simple name of the writer) at the foot.
>
> I've got no experience with business environments, but my personal view
> is that putting letterheads/'signatures' at the top like you have done
> is Wrong(tm). People that read your emails already know who it's from,
> because your name was in the from-line of the email they opened...

I have no problem with the signature at the top.
to be honest, i look at it, and think: 'oh look, someones sent another
empty email', then promptly delete it, without realising there was more
content.

thats not me having a go, its just thats what my instincts about 'email
content' tell me.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 bus error (passengers dumped)