[Gllug] libs, but where?

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 24 09:18:53 UTC 2002

>> Where do I install the libraries? Into /usr/lib?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>You should be able to put them anywhere you want.

True. However, I recommend avoiding putting them anywhere that's
used by the default install. For example, create a /local directory
(ideally on a separate disk, or at least on a separate partition),
and put all your locally installed stuff there. That way, it'll
survive an upgrade or reinstall unscathed.

>If they are in a directory included in /etc/ld.so.conf they will be
>picked up automatically. Alternatively set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point
>to the relevant directory before you start the configure script for
>ogg.

While this is true, both are the wrong solution. ld.so.conf is a nasty
linuxism, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be avoided where possible for
a number of reasons. The best solution is to compile in a run time
library path by using "gcc -Wl,-rpath,/path/to/my/libs/directory"

http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk