[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jul 24 12:50:42 UTC 2002

Mark Preston(mark at markpreston.co.uk)@Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:02:08PM +0100:

> Richard Cohen's description of making bootable CdRoms wasn't quite what I had
> in mind when I made the posting, but I found it very interesting.
> I would like to ask how difficult it would be to take a well known distro
> like Mandrake or Redhat and then take off a few files/ add a few files to
> create a bootable cdrom with some special interest files? The reason I am
> asking is because I'm thinking that this is what, amongst other things, the
> open source project I'm involved in called OIO - Open Infrastructure for
> Outcomes should be doing to promote more uptake. One of the main problems is
> difficulty with installation which requires ideally Apache, PostgreSQL, Zope
> and the OIO package to all be installed correctly. This, for the target
> audience of medics/ healthcare workers is asking a bit much.

it can be a doddle.  mandrake comes with a utility on the CD/ local
mirror that you have.  which can create a CD from what you've
downloaded.  my mirror of mdk cooker misses out anything localized in a
non english speaking language.  so the mirror i have, is 'customized',
and i can create CD's from it.

now i've mentioned that it can be done, maybe i should point you in the
direction of how it can be done.

on mdk 8.2 on the first CD image you'll need to run misc/MakeCD, theres
a usefull README.MakeCD in that dir aswell.

for other variants have a look for the makecd package, i think thats
what its claled.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Windows 2000 : Designed for the Internet. The Internet : Designed for UNIX

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk