[Gllug] (infra red) webcam

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Jul 28 09:09:01 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 10:16:00PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I have heard that a computer recording may not be admissable evidence
> unless you can prove that it is original and has not been edited, and that
> some forms of video compression have been claimed to be a form of editing,
> as each frame is partly compiled using other frames.

Surely the argument against that is that the decoding/play_back program
recreates the original, the encoded form is merely for the convenience of
saving disk storage - and is an alternative encoding. If they argue about
that then suggest that typed up notes from shorthand should be in admissible
(different representation), as should typed notes from audio tapes.
The point is that all are transformations by well understood and procedures
that give a good representation of the original.

Having said that Legal decisions often suck.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk