[Gllug] NFS problem (now this is REALLY p*****g me off!)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jul 24 07:02:05 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 21:23, Dylan wrote:
> I have just re-installed my home LAN from scratch to fix (rather that
> understand) the following:
>
> After a while (a month or so) my server (which is running SuSE 8.0 with
> "Default without office" but runlevel set to 3) seriously slows down when
> serving NFS, but provides all other n/work services (well, ping, NIS mainly,
> but rusers occasionally) with no problem. Very shortly after that, it becomes
> impossible to mount NFS shares. The errors seem to be random - I get "no
> route to host" (accessing by IP and ping is fine); "RPC - permission denied"
> and "RPC timeout" about evenly on any of four clients. Get this - mount fails
> on boot or using autofs, but some (not all) manual mounts work (whether I use
> mount -a, mount <local directory> or a full mount stmnt!)
>
> Once the slowdown or mount failure is evident on one client, it spontaneously
> appears on EVERY client.

I've had a lot of experience setting up and performance tweaking NFS on
Sun and SGI systems.
As Tush and Vince say - NFS sucks on Linux.

The best help I've ever had is the OReilly (*) book "Managing NFS and
NIS". I got my copy years ago, and still refer to it.

For detailed NFS performance stuff, the nfsstat utility is what you
need. (Saying that, you may not have a performance issue - but still
this is a vital utility).

Hate to say it, but I still think linux lacks a bit in the performance
monitoring/diagnostics like the 'big' Unices have. but that is of course
changing.

John H

(*) Yeah, I know. I should have shares in OReilly...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk