[Gllug] No video card - no boot?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sun Jun 16 21:39:36 UTC 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Stephen Harker wrote:

> Its hard to imagine having a hardware conflict with the video card unless
> you have a whole pile of extra weird and wonderful pci cards in there. Which
> I doubt as you are only using it remotely. About the only thing you will
> achieve by taking it out (apart from rendering it unbootable) is saving
> power :-)

Nearly 2 years ago I was deploying a new server for UKLINUX NET and the
hardware I had been given for it included a horrible ISA vga card that
seriously fubar'd the network interfaces and caused the kernel to panick
in a seemingly random manner.

Replacing the card with a decent PCI one sorted the problem.

While you would not expect such a thing to happen you should never close
your mind to the possibility that such a conflict can occur. I had to
repeatedly state what the problem was before I could convince those in
control of the purse strings that buying a £30 video card would resolve
the problem.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM		   A great email address is waiting just for you!
http://www.ukpost.com/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk