[Gllug] rpms is there an easier way?

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 17 14:13:33 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:52:33PM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:
> Bruce: how does that work for something that has data files that get
> shunted into their own directories (I'm thinking databases atm)? I
> guess you configure with something like "--with-datadir=foo/data"?

To compile an application to go to /usr/local usually requires simply
adding --prefix=/usr/local to the options you pass to the configure
script, so

	./configure --prefix=/usr/local
	make
	make install

And you should not even normally need that because the default prefix
for source tarballs is usually /usr/local.

With stow, you install an app to /usr/local/stow/appdirectory, so that
files that would ordinarily be in /usr/local/bin are in
/usr/local/stow/appdirectory/bin, /usr/local/sbin files are in
/usr/local/stow/appdirectory/sbin and so on.  Stow then creates symlinks
in /usr/local/bin etc.

To get an application to work with stow you *don't* change the
configured prefix to /usr/local/stow/appdirectory.  You compile it to
think it will be run from /usr/local but you install it to the
appdirectory.  So the routine is

	./configure --prefix=/usr/local
	make
	make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/appdirectory

Then you

	cd /usr/local/stow
	stow appdirectory

and all the symlinks are created.  If you want to delete the application

	cd /usr/local/stow
	stow -D appdirectory
	rm -rf appdirectory

Simple.