[Gllug] Secure Internet Access Linux Box

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Jun 25 19:37:39 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:21:18AM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 19:02, Jim Bailey wrote:
>

> > Linux Journal did an article on doing network booting in both a
> > workstation and data centre environment a few months ago.  From what I
> > can remember it was a good article and maybe available on the web.
>
> Jim, I'm sorry not to get back on this one sooner.
> (I spent all weekend in the Old Town at La Fete de la Musique.
> Hate to say it, but sitting around under the trees with a beer
> listening to loads of different types of music beat reading my
> email. But I digress.)

Sounds wonderful! :)

> Yes, this is an area which is of direct interest to me.
> There was an article in Sys Admin magazine in Arpil 2001 on LUI,
> "Remote Installation of Heterogenous Linux Clusters"

Just checked out that didn't realise what an excellent site they have.
Oh $deity so much to read and only one life to do it all in.  Even if
I have understood Nietzsche, he is right and existence is an eternally
recursive.  I would still only have time to read the same technical
journals over and over.  Still this makes me a proto-ubermensch or very
sad and in need of therapy. ;P

> Out of this grew OSCAR - as you say there was a Linux Journal
> article by Richard Ferri of IBM on this.
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5559

I read this article over the weekend well impressed.

This article has more on remote booting including some interesting stuff
on monolithic kernels vs modular when booting remotely.  It is also more
about general remote booting rather than clustering specific. and has
details on remote booting using etherboot on floppies for NICs that don't
have PXE.

I have some sick fantasy in which I am a 'real sys admin' in fact the
one in the O'reilly Samba book.  I come in with cup of latte and at 0800
I remotely boot 1000 workstations in some corporate contact centre, with
a casual and confident keystroke.

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oscar.

I am reading the docs on this now and it sounds seriously useful, I
would love to have a go at setting up my own computational cluster.
They have given us free range of the dev and staging clusters to test,
break and document for the troubleshooting guides.  I think however they
would be very p****d if little me turned their music recognition cluster
into a full computation cluster. ;P

> I'd really like to get involved with this.

It one of those things I dream of doing when I grow up.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk