[Gllug] Digital Cameras

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 5 10:07:11 UTC 2002

Sorry if this arrives twice, I've had some mail weirdness over the weekend
(not limited to GLLUG).

Richard

Hi peoples,

I'm toying with buying a digital camera. What sorts of things do I need to
look for to ensure I can use them with Linux? Are there some open standards
that describe camera/PC interaction? The thing I'm most worried about is
uploading/downloading/deleting pictures on the media (Smart Media, Compact
Flash, etc) or internal memory (God forbid). It would be ideal if I could
use the camera as a media reader or just use some generic media interface to
my PC (e.g.: a USB multi format reader).

I'm already pretty leery about Sony and Memory Sticks; is this rational? I'm
tending towards a Canon or Olympus compact - any recommendations?

Where are places to go for further info? I've had a look at the gPhoto page;
is there anywhere else I should be checking?

A whole bunch of questions - any and all answers/comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Richard

--

	it is electricity connected to itself, if it hath wires
	it is a vast Spiderweb

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk