[Gllug] Why \303\24335 and \302\24350?

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 16:56:50 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 03:48:44PM +0000, Tom Gilbert wrote:
> * Jim (jim at lateral.net) wrote:
> > just noticed that my reply regarding winmodems came out strange instead
> > of 35-50 UKP I got a set of very weird numbers, anybody got any idea
> > why?
> >
> > for further info I am using OS X as a client but I SSH to a Debian Woody
> > box running mutt and fetchmail to collect mail off remote servers.
>
> You need to make sure your locales setup is good. LANG should be set to
> en_GB. For debian, this is set in /etc/environment (not sure if that
> goes back to woody but semi confident) - but first make sure you have
> that locale installed - dpkg-reconfigure locales and select it.

i tried this and dpkg-reconfigure says;

debconf: package "locales" is not installed or does not use debconf

might this get sorted on reboot?

> Mutt uses your locale setup to work out whether to attempt to display
> stuff like £ signs. You'll also need to ensure your font has a £
> character, of course.. Some US X fonts don't include it.

its rather anoying having the pound symbol come up as \223 or
whatever every time. the same with quote characters and accented
letters..

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk