[Gllug] remote mail problems

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Sat Mar 2 22:45:07 UTC 2002

Jim(jim at lateral.net)@Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 05:03:46PM +0000:

> Sorry guys if I didn't make my self clearer Postfix does have a pop3
> server and an imap server installed on the box the pop3 client is
> qpopper and the imap server is courier both Debian packages the idea
> being that once i have the mail system running I will replace the .deb
> packages with the latest compiled from source.
>
> Nmap shows the pop3 server running on 110 smtp on 25 and imap running
> normally on 143 and SSL running on 993.  I will get the SSL part working
> once everything else is in place.
>
> Telnet into 110 closes the connection imediately, with the message
> connection closed by foriegn host.  Telnet into 143 and I get a
> welcoming message and it awaits for commands.  Telnet into 993 and it
> simply awaits a prompt.

sounds like what ever is listening on port 110 is disconnecting you
straight away.  sounds to me like it might be an inetd/xinetd problem.
Also it might be worth checking to see if your running tcp_wrappers.  In
which case have a look at /etc/hosts.(allow|deny)  For more info, check
/var/adm/(messages|syslog) to see what errors are being generated.

one your able to connect to the pop3 server, you can manually check to
see how well it's working by issuing commands directly to it.

oh, and also if you know what to look for, running lsof and strace on
the pop3 server, once youve connected to it manually.  that might help
throw some light on whats not working.  keep an eye out for errors to
open() a file, it'll give you a hint as to what its attempting todo.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Physics is not a religion.
 If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money
 -- Leon Lederman

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk