[Gllug] troff error with man

Ian Scott ian.scott at mediasurface.com
Mon Mar 18 14:06:45 UTC 2002

Hi.

I've got a wierd error with man.  It finds a page, reformats it, then
barfs out with:

troff: fatal error: can't find macro file safer

I tried reinstalling man, but to no avail.  Troff seems to be hidden under
core stuff, and I'm a bit apprehensive about reinstalling that in case I have
any problem while doing so and leave my machine unusable (I'm using SuSE 7.1).

Anyone got any idea what might be causing this, and how I might fix it?  I
tried pulling out the raw man file, gunzipping it and pointing troff at it
directly - and got the same problem.   I just used 'troff man1' - I'm not
sure if this is the right way to use troff - but I couldn't look into it
very far, because I couldn't read the manpage!

Thanks a lot

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk