[Gllug] Triple booting Linux/Win98/Win2000

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Mar 27 10:44:01 UTC 2002

>Install Linux last definitely so you can put Lilo on the master boot
>record (MBR) without Windows overwriting it.

Which is, of course, why installing into the MBR is a bad idea. Using
the first sector of the boot partition instead is a much better option,
and I don't understand why distributions don't do it by default. That
has the advantages of not being overwritten when installing another OS,
plus you don't screw up the drive when you lose your Linux partition
and LILO can't boot its second stage loader. The latter obviously isn't
a problem with Grub, which I'd recommend over LILO now anyway. Not only
is it more user friendly, it's easier to configure, and it works better
over serial consoles (for me, at least).

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk