[Gllug] Triple booting Linux/Win98/Win2000

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 10:31:45 UTC 2002

> here is a stupid quesiton.... can I create a triple boot a
> Linux/W98/2000
> machine?? If so any suggestions to the order I install then
> onto the machine
> (fresh machine 40G HD Athlon 1200 256Mb)

Install Linux last definitely so you can put Lilo on the master boot
record (MBR) without Windows overwriting it. Not sure if the windows
order matters but probably Win98 first, then Win2000.
then you can set up Lilo to boot to the appropriate partions.

I suppose you could either have Lilo booting all 3 or have it just
booting to Linux and Win2000, then Win2000's bootloader giving you the
choice of Win98 or Win2000.

Also you'd probably want Linux to have a small /boot partition at the
start of the disk before the
Windows ones (not sure if this is still necessary but there can be
problems with large disks IIRC)

The other thing is set up the partitions carefully because Linux can't
write safely to NTFS. So you really want NTFS just for the Win2000 basic
operating system and utils and then a large FAT partition of some sort
for data you want shared between the OS's.

Paul.

Notice
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. It must not be used by, or its
contents copied or disclosed to persons other than the intended
recipient. Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any
third party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is excluded. If you have received this e-mail
in error please notify our Systems Administrator on 020 8695 4111 and
delete the e-mail.

Warning
It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. Please carry out such virus
and other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is
accepted by Cosmos PLC in this regard.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk