[Gllug] Signing everything?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 20 12:08:59 UTC 2002

On 20/03/02, 11:40:14, Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote regarding
[Gllug] Signing everything?:

> I've noticed some people pgp/gpg sign _everything_ they write.  Can
> some of those who do this explain to me their reason for doing so?

If you're going to do it, there's no good reason not to do it
consistently and plenty reason to make it a habit.  The only reason this
message isn't signed is I'm sending it from work where I have (for
reasons I won't bore you with) to use the braindead StarOffice client to
access this mail.

If people don't expect your mail to be signed then they won't check the
forgery.  They may check the occasional signed message you send them.
Which defeats the object.

OTOH, if they expect your mail to be signed then they will be leary of
unsigned mail, even if they don't have the means to check it and I have
experience to back this up (with the exception of this list I don't
generally send unsigned mail from this address).

> I've considered doing so but then, having thought about it, decided it
> also could make one vulnerable.  Does this not expose you to some
> liability if what you're saying is wrong?  In court you could always
> say "I didn't say that"

You could try.  A more sensible precaution would be to not say stupid and
libellous things in list e-mails.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk