[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Mats Hulten mahu at ffs.gu.se
Sat May 25 13:50:14 UTC 2002

> Does your X server work yet? If it doesn't trying to install
> KDE may be a touch premature:)

Well... hrm.. not that I know of... :)
But if I'm not totally mistaken emerge will recognise this and install X
first when installing kde, as kde has dependencies to X

>From the Desktop Configuration Guide:
1.Preliminaries
Needless to say, you first need to have Gentoo Linux installed.
Having finished that rather enjoyable process, you also need to download
the Portage tree.
[...]

2.X and KDE
Installation
Having installed Gentoo Linux and updated Portage, my first task is
generally to install X and KDE. X takes forever to compile, and KDE
takes even longer, so I highly recommend doing this right before going
to bed.
[...]
# emerge kde-base/kde
[...]
Have a nice nap!
[...]
Configuring
I like using the console-based xf86config program to configure X
[.end.]

The way I intrepet these instructions are that you only need a working
installation of Gentoo before downloading kde. Emerge will then resolve
all dependencies automagically (including X)...

But then again... my kde installation failed... :)

Is it better do emerge X first then kde?
What package would I need to emerge in that case? I've looked at the
available packages at gentoo.org, and though there is a x11-misc
category, I can't find anything that looks like its going to install X
and only X.

-M

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk