[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat May 25 16:02:51 UTC 2002

Mats Hulten wrote:

> > Does your X server work yet? If it doesn't trying to install
> > KDE may be a touch premature:)
>
> Well... hrm.. not that I know of... :)
> But if I'm not totally mistaken emerge will recognise this and install X
> first when installing kde, as kde has dependencies to X

(snip)

> The way I intrepet these instructions are that you only need a working
> installation of Gentoo before downloading kde. Emerge will then resolve
> all dependencies automagically (including X)...

Yes, I believe it will do this. So this should be perfectly valid.

> But then again... my kde installation failed... :)
>
> Is it better do emerge X first then kde?
> What package would I need to emerge in that case? I've looked at the
> available packages at gentoo.org, and though there is a x11-misc
> category, I can't find anything that looks like its going to install X
> and only X.

You certainly need x11-base/xfree, and possibly some of the x11-libs. I
have:

./x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.0.1-r1.ebuild
./x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-1.2.8-r3.ebuild
./x11-libs/gtk-engines/gtk-engines-0.10.ebuild
./x11-libs/gtkDPS/gtkDPS-0.3.3.ebuild
./x11-libs/libPropList/libPropList-0.10.1-r1.ebuild
./x11-terms/eterm/eterm-0.8.10.ebuild
./x11-terms/rxvt/rxvt-2.6.3.ebuild
./x11-wm/WindowMaker/WindowMaker-0.62.1-r1.ebuild
./x11-wm/enlightenment/enlightenment-0.16.4-r1.ebuild
./x11-libs/openmotif/openmotif-2.1.30.ebuild
./x11-wm/sawfish/sawfish-0.34.ebuild

but I am certainly not using all of them.

I did not explicitly install X on my system. It came as part of the base
product when I did "emerge system" (which took something like a day:) I
havn't installed KDE at all.

So you have a couple of options that I can see:

Install X, get it working, then try KDE again;

Work out why your KDE installation failed. You havn't mentioned any
specific errors yet, so no-one can help you with that ATM. Of course, if
you want to work this out yourself then fair enough and all due credit,
but if you post some error messages we'll see if we can help.

Anyone here installed Gentoo with this stage 3 package? It appears to be
quite different to the stage 1 one I used, which is very much a minimal
bootstrap and install everything from source job.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk