[Gllug] Fireing up an external SCSI device once the system has started.

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu May 23 09:03:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 10:45, Colin Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 1:22 pm, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> What else should I know about SCSI then.  Changing cables when powered up I
> think is wrong, but is this correct for both devices powered up or is it
> OK if the external device is powered down?

I've no idea of the correct technical answer here.

But I certainly would not do any work on a SCSI chain without
both host and external devices being powered down (*)

Speaking from bitter experience here
(No names, no pack drill but Sun SCSI cards have darn tiny little
fuses on them, which are quite rare to blow but you can manage it...)

John H

(*) excepting of course how-swap stuff

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk