[Gllug] Can't get my CNet PRO200WL netcard to work in Gentoo

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri May 24 18:18:28 UTC 2002

Mats Hulten wrote:

> You said that the installation guide missed out "make mrproper"; I
> certainly cannot remember running this cmd but you said it was in the
> kernel tree. Did you mean that it is called when running "make dep &&
> make clean bzImage modules modules_install" in the installation guide,
> or is it left out altogether?

I mean it is left out altogether (in the copy I have here anyway, it's a
couple of months old).

> What does it do, and should I run it now as I already has a working
> system? (Pretty much working in any case... :)

According to the documentation it "makes sure there are no stale .o
files or dependencies lying around". From that description I'm not sure
why it is needed in a brand new kernel tree, but in my case the kernel
wouldn't compile until I ran it. It is run before the "make menuconfig"
step immediately after installing and possibly patching the kernel tree.
All I know is that the kernel documentation (the README at the top level
of the tree) says to run it, so I always have except on this occasion
when I followed the Gentoo documentation exactly, and I needed to add
it. Perhaps someone else on the list with a more intimate knowledge of
kernel building can comment. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the
exact error I encountered, just what the solution was.

As your system is working no, you don't need to run it, not unless you
install new kernel sources or patches anyway. In fact, definitely don't
run it as it will blow away your config (the .config file at the top
level in case you ever need to save it).

BTW did you install Gentoo from a binary or source distribution? I used
the source one, whether this makes any difference I don't know. I'm also
using a VMware virtual machine but don't know if that makes any
difference either.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk