[Gllug] Very large tape drive!

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue May 21 11:46:48 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 14:20, rdrinkwater wrote:
> Morning,
>
> This is definately off topic but I hate throwing kit away and it may be
> of interest to somebody.
>
> I have a 19" rack mounted, front loading, 2400 ft reel/reel tape drive to
> jettison.  It has a SCSI interface (standard SCSI commands - tar - etc)
> and can read/write tapes at 800, 1600, 3200 bpi + 6250 fci.  I also have
> a load of 1200 and 2400 ft tapes to go with it.
>
> Not used for about a year but was working perfectly (no guarantees
> given!)

Oooohhh.... If only I had the room at home.
Memories (sniffle). All the round tapes are gone from these parts a long
time ago.

BTW, please don't scrap this thing!
I remember reading about NASA being unable to read data from
some Pioneer mission or other - and I guess this problem is going
to get worse as time goes on.

How about seeing if your local hospital radiotherapy or imaging
department would be interested?
I will contact Guys and Tommies - they certainly used round tapes to
get data from CT scanners.
I fervently hope that these days everything is done by network DICOM
transfers - but you never know!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk